Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Letter to Author of "Ambush": Tim O'Brien

Lourdes Vicuna
86-32 Dragner St
Apt. 6G
Bayside, NY 17528

February 12, 2008

Dear Speaker :
(indent) Not too long ago, in fact just this week, I was reading “Ambush” from Things they Carried, and I must say that I admire your distinctive form of writing. Not every one can write in a way in which concrete imagery makes their writing so unique.
(indent)You started off by giving the reader a basic exposition of what was happening. You then introduced the reader to where the climax was found at, but slowly brought the reader to a common territory, the conclusion. Anyone can explain what happened, but you used concrete imagery such as in paragraph 3. Two thirds into that paragraph you explained as follows: “He wore black clothing and rubber sandals and a gray ammunition belt. His shoulders were slightly stooped, his head cocked to the side as if listening for something. He seemed at ease. He carried his weapon in one hand, muzzle down moving without any hurry up the center of the trail. There was no sound at all---none that I can remember. In a way, it seemed he was part of the morning fog, or my own imagination but here was also the reality of what was happening in my stomach. I had already pulled the pin on a grenade.”
(indent)With that being said, was it because you sensed peril in the upcoming events that you got ready to pull the grenade? Yes, I know that we all have immediate reactions, but don’t you think that your immediate reaction was a bit too harsh? Were you thinking of how this would affect you later: either by bringing remorse feelings to you or feelings of pride because you would be seen as a hero when you returned home?
(indent)I also remember reading on how you were still affected by what you did. The very last paragraph reads as follows: “In the ordinary hours of life I try not to dwell on it, but now and then, when I’m reading a newspaper or just sitting alone in a room, I’ll look up and see the young man coming out of the morning fog. I’ll watch him walk toward me, his shoulders slightly stopped, his head cocked to the side, and he’ll pass within a few yards of me and suddenly smile at some secret thought and then continue up the trail to where it bends into the fog.” I know that when something is bothering me, the best way to remove that feeling is by talking about it. So have you ever tried talking about it? This may sound dumb, but when you talk about it you feel like a burden has been lifted from your shoulders, open yourself up and see for yourself how great it is. Remember that it is never ok to keep all your feelings to yourself because there is only so much your heart can hold. Also, going back to the last paragraph in “Ambush”, do you think that the fact you visualize the young man passing by you and without doing any harm to you is a sign that you heart is telling you that you have forgiven yourself but it is only your mind that is denying it? Don’t forget that you mind and heart may disagree many times with each other, but in the end you can still make the right decision. Your conscience may bother you every now and then, but don't condemn yourself.
(indent) Maybe if you start to write about other things rather than war, it would get your mind away from it. I hope to hear soon from you with responses to all of my questions.
Sincerely,
Lourdes Vicuna

No comments: